Growing up, I always wanted to be a Patessier more than i wanted to be a Chef. It’s not that i get to be a Chef now (i’ll get there eventually haha), but i never really understood how fun it is to bake until i made my very first loaf!
Banana is my go-to fruit whenever i’m on a very strict low-calorie diet. It is a good source of fiber to keep you fuller longer and its high potassium content helps in nerve and muscle function, it also maintains a healthy balance of fluids in the body.
Instead of the more common white sugar, i used a more “natural” alternative to brown sugar which is Muscovado, plus, its strong flavor compliments the Bananas. It is essentially evaporated cane juice that’s been minimally clarified and then crystallized.
When i made my first few batches, i was not as happy on the texture as i want it to be more moist. After a few more experimental batches i finally found the key ingredient: Condensed milk!
Try my recipe below and you’ll feel like having mad baking skillzz once it’s done 😉
Preparation Time: 50 mins
|1 1/2 cup||Flour|
|1 tsp||Baking soda|
|1 tsp||Baking powder|
|1 tsp||Cinnamon powder (or Nutmeg), optional|
|1 cup||Banana, mashed|
|1/2 cup||Butter, melted|
|3/4 cup||Muscovado sugar|
|1 tsp||Vanilla flavor|
|2 tbsp||Condensed milk|
|Dark chocolate button or chocolate chips or walnuts|
Note: Native eggs are used and preferred for a fuller yolk. Bananas to be used are preferably those in over-ripe state as those are more flavorful.
- Preheat oven at 175 degrees C. Grease loaf pan (9×5 inch) using butter or oil.
- Mix flour, baking soda, baking power, salt, cinnamon, and set aside.
- Mash banana then refrigerate.
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg, butter, sugar, vanilla, and condensed milk. Combine flour mixture and stir gently until smooth then add banana.
- Spread evenly to the loaf pan and top with Chocolate buttons or chocolate chips or walnuts.
- Bake at 175 degrees for 40mins or until toothpick inserted into the loaf comes out clean. Cool loaf for 10mins before transferring to plate to cool completely.