If you are trying to shed some significant pounds, rule of thumb is to shed some Carbohydrates in your usual diet. I find the said “rule” to be extra hard especially when my body is programmed to be Carb-infused (rice and bread) all day everyday! But there’s always an alternative to everything, i thought. Thank goodness for a scatter and handful of recipes as well as recommendations from health-watchers all over the cyberworld. So here, let me share to you my tweaked version of a healthy Tortilla wrap recipe.
Most if not all the time, i try to be creative on preparing vegetables because I do not just eat it myself, I cook for the family as well. It’s not that they are defiant on eating greens, i just want me/them to be more visually-interested on what I/they eat. In this case, I always play with colors and it isn’t that hard 🙂
And so on my quest to lessen my Carb intake, i came across a recipe in The Kitchn and instantly had the urge to tweak and prepare it myself. This recipe is champ because:
- It’s remarkably healthy but easy-to-prepare
- It’s budget-friendly, and
- Its ingredients are all available in any local market/grocery (Especially if you are okay with the non-organic ones)
For working-people on the go and health-conscious ones who prepare their own food, these three factors are top-priority. I would no longer enumerate the health benefits of this recipe but Avocado with Fish? Lemon and honey? Carrots and Red cabbage? Need i say anymore to convince you that there’s a pot of gold on this plate? Yeah, I figured.
You may serve this any time of the day, too. Be it breakfast, lunch, snack, or even dinner. I’ve prepared and eaten this recipe in all meals and it satisfies me (especially my Mom) all the friggin time!
Here’s the recipe for you to try out too!
Preparation Time: 45mins
|2 pcs||Wheat Tortilla|
|250g||Cream Dory fillet|
|1 tbsp||Olive oil|
|For the Cabbage Slaw|
|1/2 cup||Red cabbage, shredded|
|1/4 cup||Carrots, julienned|
|2 cloves||Garlic, minced|
|1 pc||Dried chili or Jalapeno, chopped (optional)|
|1 tbsp||Lemon juice|
|1 tsp||Muscovado sugar|
Note: All vegetables are organic produce.
- Prepare the slaw first. Wash the shredded cabbage, massage and squeeze it then transfer it to a strainer to drain water for about 15mins. Once drained well, mix the cabbage with carrots in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the garlic, lemon juice, honey, muscovado sugar, and chili for the dressing. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour over the dressing to the cabbage mix and toss to combine. Refrigerate for a while.
- For the fish, coat it with curry, white pepper, and salt. Notice that i did not use flour to lessen the Carb content and to maximize the nutrients of the fish, keeping it simple as possible.
- Heat oil and fry the fish until golden brown. Transfer the fish to a clean plate and chop in small pieces. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the tortilla in a teflon pan or in a roasting tray for 30-50 seconds each side.
- Let the tortilla set for at least 30 seconds before wrapping the fish, avocado, and cabbage slaw. Use toothpicks to hold the rolls. If you want to be more creative (like me hehe!) make use of cute toothpicks, in my case, i used my U.N.-themed picks. Cut into two and serve.
Tip: You may opt to use a gluten-free Tortilla wrap. In my case, there’s no available GF wraps so a whole-wheat is enough for me. Also, i did not coat the fish with flour to maximize its nutrients.
If i ever convinced you to try out this recipe, let me hear from you! Maybe you’ve tweaked it too and another wonder-recipe has been curated! 🙂
Find that fun and healthy alternative,